- Email email@example.com
- Phone +33 4 77 42 01 88
- Capacity Directeur du CIS
- Centre Centre for Biomedical and Healthcare Engineering
- Service Healthcare Engineering – Management-Administration
Campus of Saint-Étienne
Campus Santé et Innovations, Saint-Priest-en-Jarez
- Office L122
Responsibilities and Duties
- Director of the CIS centre for Biomedical and Heathcare Engineering
- Deputy Director of INSERM U1059 – SAINBIOSE
- ERC consolidator grant – Biolochanics
- Cofounder of Predisurge, a spin-off company offering innovative software solutions for patient-specific numerical simulation of surgical procedures
- Biomechanics serving Healthcare
- Biomechanics of biological soft tissues: in vivo characterization of material properties, patient-specific predictive modeling, medical compression, elastography.
- Aortic digital twin: read the post.
- Prevention of aneurism rupture: biomechanics of the aortic wall, damage mechanisms in fibrous tissues, stent-graft modeling, patient-specific predictive simulation of endovascular interventions, biolochanics.
- Inverse problems: identification of constitutive parameters using full-field measurements, theoretical development of the virtual fields method and application to experimental data in elasticity, elastoplasticity and elastoviscoplasticity (software CamFit).
- Mechanical Engineering.
- Finite Element Method analysis.
- Experimental mechanics.
- Inverse methods in soft tissue biomechanics.
Stéphane Avril is a distinguished Full Professor at Institut Mines Telecom affiliated at Mines Saint-Etienne in France. He runs a group of 20+ in soft tissue biomechanics, with a special focus on constitutive modeling and identification using imaging techniques. He is also director of the CIS center for biomedical and healthcare engineering (65+ people) and deputy director of SAINBIOSE (INSERM endorsed laboratory with 100+ researchers). Stéphane received his PhD in mechanical and civil engineering in 2002 at Mines Saint-Etienne (France). After positions at Arts et Métiers ParisTech (France) and Loughborough University (UK) where he developed the Virtual Fields Methods, Stéphane returned to his alma mater in 2008 and extended his broad experience of inverse problems to soft tissue biomechanics, especially regarding aortic aneurisms in close collaboration with vascular surgeons. Stéphane was a visiting Professor at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor (USA) in 2008 and has been a visiting professor at Yale University since 2014.
Stéphane has received many awards and distinctions including ICCB best communication award (2017), Editor’s Choice Paper Finalist – ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering (2016), ESB best poster award (2015), BSSM 50th Anniversary Plenary Speaker (2014). He has led two national ANR grants in soft tissue biomechanics and supervised 25+ PhD students. In 2015, Stéphane was awarded an ERC (European Research Council) consolidator grant of 2m€ for the Biolochanics project on: Localization in biomechanics and mechanobiology of aneurysms: Towards personalized medicine.
Most of Stéphane’s research is aimed at improving the treatment of cardiovascular diseases by assisting physicians and surgeons with biomechanical numerical simulations.
In 2017, Stéphane co-founded Predisurge, a spin-off company of IMT at Mines Saint-Etienne. PrediSurge offers innovative software solutions for patient-specific numerical simulation of surgical procedures. First applications in endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) enable the automatic design of fully-customized fenestrated stent-grafts. Preliminary evaluations reveal huge benefits for the 20000+ patients requiring fenestrated EVAR every year: faster procedures, increased precision, near-zero risk of complications. Our vision for 2025 is that all EVAR procedures will have to be numerically simulated for ensuring the highest degree of safety.
- PhD in Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Mines Saint-Etienne, France (2002).
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering with a specialization in Mathematics, Mines Saint-Étienne, France (1999).
2017 (July-August): Visiting Professor, Yale University, USA.
Since 2017: Professeur de Classe exceptionnelle, Mines St-Etienne, France.
2016 (April-May & October-November): Visiting Professor, Yale University, USA.
Since 2014: Professeur de première classe, Mines St-Etienne, France.
2014 (May- August): Visiting Professor, Yale University, USA.
Since 2010: Full Professor, Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Mines, St-Etienne, France.
2008 (July-August): Visiting Fellow, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA.
2008-2010 : Associate professor, Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Mines, St-Etienne.
2006 (January-September): Visiting Scholar, Loughborough University, UK
2003-2007 : Assistant Professor, Arts et Métiers Paris Tech, France.
2002-2003 : ATER, Arts et Métiers Paris Tech, France.
List of books
1. Material Parameter Identification and Inverse Problems in Soft Tissue Biomechanics (S Avril and S Evans, eds.), Springer, 2016
List of invited plenary or keynote lectures in national and international conferences
1. S Avril, S Drapier, L Bouten, S Couzan, Étude mécanique des articles de contention et de leurs effets sur la jambe humaine, Mécanique des matériaux fibreux et souples, Journées AUM / AFM 2008 – Mulhouse – 27 / 29 Août 2008
2. S. Avril, identification of hyperelastic properties of an artery using full-field optical measurements, BSSM seminar on “Experimental Mechanics in Biological Tissues”, Loughborough (UK), 23 June 2009
3. S. Avril, Identification methods for characterizing the mechanical behaviour of human arteries in vitro, Workshop Biomathematics & biomechanics, Tozeur (Tunisia), September 2009
4. S. Avril, Identification of mechanical properties of human arteries in vitro, Rhône Alpes research cluster MACODEV Workshop, Annecy (France), February 2009
5. S. Avril, Modélisation de la jambe humaine sous compression élastique, Rencontres Textiles Santé, Saint-Etienne (France), March 2010
6. S. Avril, Utilisation de l’imagerie pour identifier les propriétés élastiques des tissus mous du corps humain, CANUM mathematics workshop, Carcans (France), June 2010
7. S. Avril, Full-field measurements and identification for biological soft tissues: application to arteries in vitro, workshop of the COST action FP0802 entitled “Experimental and computational characterization techniques in wood mechanics”, VilaReal (Portugal), 27 April 2011
8. S. Avril, What do we know about aortic arch arterial wall biomechanical properties?, European Society of Vascular Biomaterials workshop, Strasbourg (France), October 2011
9. S. Avril, Full-field strain measurements and material identification in soft tissue biomechanics, 9th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, Cardiff, September 2013
10. S. Avril, N Demanget, P Badel, D Perrin, L Orgéas, C Geindreau, A Duprey, JP Favre, JN Albertini, Computational comparison of the bending behavior of stent grafts, European Society of Vascular Biomaterials workshop, Strasbourg (France), October 2013
11. S. Avril, Peut-on optimiser le sizing grâce à la modélisation des endoprothèses aortiques ? Challenges and Innovation in Vascular World workshop, Paris (France), December 2014
12. S. Avril, Soft tissue biomechanics and its challenges for experimental mechanics, BSSM 50th anniversary workshop, London (UK), 4th November 2014
13. S. Avril, O Trabelsi, A Duprey, Reconstruction of strain energy functions in biological membranes from full-field strain measurements, BSSM colloquium, Southampton (UK), 3rd March 2015
14. S. Avril, P Badel, D Perrin, JN Albertini, Simulation des endoprothèses en phase de planning, Rencontres Ingénierie Santé, Saint-Etienne (France), October 2014
15. S. Avril, O Trabelsi, A Duprey, Reconstruction of strain energy functions in biological membranes from full-field strain measurements, Flexible Materials and Large Deformations Workshop, Rennes (France), May 2015
16. S. Avril, Imagerie médicale et biomécanique des anévrismes de l’aorte thoracique ascendante, Rencontres Imagerie et Technologies pour la santé (RITS), Dourdan (France), March 2015
17. S. Avril, Comportement à la rupture des artères, Mecamat winter workshop, Aussois (France), January 2016
18. S Avril, MR Bersi, C Bellini, P Di Achille, K Genovese, JD Humphrey, Inverse characterization of regional, nonlinear and anisotropic properties of arteries, ECCOMAS congress 2016, Crete, June 2016
19. S Avril, Biomécanique et mécanobiologie au service de la Médecine Vasculaire, Collège des Enseignants de Médecine Vasculaire, Saint-Étienne (France), 25 novembre 2016
20. S Avril, Rupture risk estimation in thoracic aortic Aneurysms, Seventh International Conference on Multiscale Modelling and Methods: Upscaling in Engineering and Medicine Santiago, Chile, January 16-17, 2017
21. S Avril, MR Bersi, C Bellini, P Di Achille, JD Humphrey, Inverse characterization of regional, nonlinear and anisotropic properties of arteries, EUROMECH Colloquium 585 – Advanced experimental methods in tissue biomechanics, Burg Warberg (Germany), February 12-16, 2017
22. S Avril, Rupture risk estimation in thoracic aortic Aneurysms, International Symposium Biomechanics in Vascular Biology and Cardiovascular Disease, Rotterdam (Netherlands), April 4-5, 2017.
23. S Avril, Rupture risk estimation in thoracic aortic aneurysms using biomechanics and mechanobiology, 5th European and Francophone aorta masterclass, Corte (Corsica, France), September 29, 2017.
24. S Avril, Characterization of the mechanical properties of arteries, ESVB, Strasbourg (France), October 12-14, 2017.
25. S Avril, Identification of regional, nonlinear and anisotropic material properties in soft tissue biomechanics using 2D and 3D full-field measurements, Photomechanics, Toulouse (France), March 20-22, 2018.
26. S Avril, Biomécanique de l’aorte et paramètres extraits de l’IRM 4D, 9èmes Journées Francophones d’Imagerie Cardio-Vasculaire diagnostique et interventionnelle, Beaune (France), June 23, 2018.
27. S Avril, Biomechanical Modelling of the Human Leg under Elastic Compression, Congress on Advanced Treatments and Technologies in Wound Care (ATTWC2018), London (UK), November 2018.
List of Publications in peer-reviewed international journals & book chapters
1 S. Avril, A. Vautrin, P. Hamelin, ‘Mechanical behavior of cracked beams strengthened with composites : application of a full-field measurement method’, Materials and Structures – 2003, Vol. 36 – N° 260.
2 E. Ferrier, S. Avril, P. Hamelin, A. Vautrin, ‘Cracking Behavior Improvement of RC Beams by bonding externally CFRP Sheets’, Materials and Structures – 2003, Vol. 36 – N° 262.
3 S. Avril, A. Vautrin, Y. Surrel, ‘Grid Method : Application to the Characterization of Cracks’, Experimental Mechanics – 2004, Vol. 44 – N° 1, 37-43.
4 S. Avril, E. Ferrier, P. Hamelin, Y. Surrel, A. Vautrin. ‘Experimental analysis of reinforced-concrete beams repaired with CFRP sheets’. Composite Part A – 2004, Vol. 35, 873-884.
5 S. Avril, M. Grédiac, F. Pierron. ‘Sensitivity of the virtual fields method to noisy data’. Computational Mechanics – 2004, Vol. 34, N° 6, 439-452.
6 S. Avril, A. Vautrin, P. Hamelin, Y. Surrel. ‘A multi-scale approach for crack width prediction in reinforced-concrete beams repaired with composite materials’. Composite Science and Technology – 2005, Vol. 65, 445-453.
7 H. Chalal, S. Avril, F. Pierron, Characterization of the nonlinear shear behaviour of UD composite materials using the Virtual Fields Method, Applied Mechanics and Materials – 2005 Vol. 3-4, pp. 185-190.
8 R. Moulart, S. Avril, F. Pierron, Identification of the through-thickness orthotropic stiffness of composite tubes from full-field measurements, Applied Mechanics and Materials – 2005 Vol. 3-4, pp. 161-166.
9 Y. Pannier, R. Rotinat, S. Avril and F. Pierron, Experimental application of the Virtual Fields Method to elasto-plastic behaviour, Applied Mechanics and Materials – 2005 Vol. 3-4, pp. 33-38.
10 R. Moulart, S. Avril, F. Pierron. ‘Identification of the through-thickness rigidities of a thick composite laminated tube’. Composite Part A – 2006, Vol. 37, pp. 326-336.
11 H. Chalal, S. Avril, F. Pierron, F. Meraghni. ‘Experimental identification of a damage model for composites using the grid technique coupled to the virtual fields method’. Composite Part A – 2006, Vol. 37, pp. 315-325.
12 Y. Pannier, S. Avril, R. Rotinat, F. Pierron, ‘Identification of elasto-plastic constitutive parameters from statically undetermined tests using the virtual fields method’, Experimental Mechanics – 2006, Vol. 46, N°6, pp. 735-755.
13 M. Grédiac, F. Pierron, S. Avril, E. Toussaint, ‘The virtual fields method for extracting constitutive parameters from full-field measurements: a review’, Strain – 2006, Vol. 42, pp. 233-253.
14 F. Pierron, G. Vert, R. Burguete, S. Avril, R. Rotinat, M. Wisnom, Optimization of the unotched Iosipescu test on composites for identification from full-field measurements, Applied Mechanics and Materials – 2006 Vol. 5-6, pp. 125-134.
15 S. Avril, F. Pierron, ‘General framework for the identification of constitutive parameters from full-field measurements in linear elasticity’, International Journal of Solids and Structures – 2007, Vol. 44, pp. 4978-5002.
16 F. Pierron, G. Vert, R. Burguete, S. Avril, R. Rotinat, M.R. Wisnom, ‘Identification of the orthotropic elastic stiffnesses of composites with the virtual fields method: sensitivity study and experimental validation’, Strain – 2007, Vol. 43, pp. 250-259.
17 J. Xavier, S. Avril, F. Pierron, J. Morais, ‘Novel experimental approach for LR stiffnesses characterization of clear wood using a single test’, Holzforschung – 2007, Vol. 61, pp. 573-581.
18 K. Syed Muhammad, E. Toussaint, M. Grédiac, S. Avril, ‘Characterization of composite plates using the Virtual Fields Method with optimized loading conditions’. Composite and Structures – 2007, Vol. 85, pp. 70-82.
19 V. Tran, S. Avril and F. Pierron, Software implementation of the virtual fields method, Applied Mechanics and Materials – 2007 Vol. 7-8, pp. 57-62.
20 20. S. Avril, F. Pierron, Y. Pannier, R. Rotinat, ‘Stress reconstruction and constitutive parameter identification in plane-stress elastoplastic problems using surface measurements of deformation fields’, Experimental Mechanics -2008, Vol. 48, N°5, pp. 403-420.
21 S. Avril, J.M. Huntley, F. Pierron, and D.D. Steele. 3D heterogeneous stiffness identification using MRI and the virtual fields method. Experimental Mechanics -2008, Vol. 48, N°5, pp. 479-494.
22 M.A. Sutton, J. Yan, S. Avril, F. Pierron, S. Adeeb. Identification of heterogeneous constitutive parameters in a welded specimen: Uniform stress and virtual fields methods for material property estimation. Experimental Mechanics -2008, Vol. 48, N°5, pp. 451-464.
23 S. Avril, F. Pierron, J. Yan, M.A. Sutton. Identification of viscoplastic parameters and characterization of Lüders behavior using Digital Image Correlation and the Virtual Fields Method. Mechanics of Materials – 2008, Vol. 40, N°9, pp. 729-742.
24 S. Avril, J.M. Huntley, R. Cusack. In-Vivo measurements of blood viscosity and wall stiffness in the carotid using PC-MRI. European Journal of Computational Mechanics – 2009, Vol 18, N°1, pp. 9-20.
25 S. Avril, M. Bonnet, A.-S. Bretelle, M. Grédiac, F. Hild, P. Ienny, F. Latourte, D. Lemosse, S. Pagano, E. Pagnacco et F. Pierron. Identification from measurements of mechanical fields. Experimental Mechanics, -2008, Vol. 48, N°5, pp. 381-402.
26 S. Avril, P. Feissel, F. Pierron, P. Villon. Estimation of the strain field from full-field displacement noisy data. European Journal of Computational Mechanics – 2008, Vol 17, N°5-7, pp. 857-868.
27 S. Avril, P. Feissel, F. Pierron, P. Villon. Comparison of two approaches for controlling the uncertainty in data differentiation: application to full-field measurements in solid mechanics. Measurement Science and Technology – 2010, Vol 21, N°1, pp. 15703-15713.
28 J. Kim, F. Pierron, M.R. Wisnom, S. Avril. Local stiffness reduction in impacted composite plates from full-field measurements. Composites Part A – 2009, Vol 40, N°12, pp. 1961-1974.
29 J. Xavier, S. Avril, F. Pierron, J. Morais. Variation of radial and shear stiffness properties of wood in a tree. Composites Part A – 2009, Vol 40, N°12, pp. 1953-1960.
30 S. Avril, S. Drapier, L. Bouten, S. Couzan. Mechanical investigation of compression stockings and of their effects on the human leg. Mechanics and Industry – 2009, Vol 10, pp. 7-13.
31 F. Pierron, S. Avril, V. Tran. Extension of the virtual fields method to elasto-plastic material identification with cyclic loads and kinematic hardening. International Journal of Solids and Structures, -2009, Vol 47, N° 22-23, pp 2993-3010.
32 S. Avril, L. Bouten, L. Dubuis, S. Drapier, JF Pouget. Mixed experimental and numerical approach for characterizing the biomechanical response of the human leg under elastic compression. ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering -2010, 132, 031006.
33 A. Duprey, K. Khanafer, M. Schlicht, S. Avril, D. Williams, R. Berguer. Ex vivo Characterization of Biomechanical Behavior of Ascending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Using Uniaxial Tensile Testing. European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery – 2009, Vol 39, N°6, pp. 700-707.
34 S. Avril, P. Badel, A Duprey. Anisotropic and hyperelastic identification of in vitro human arteries from full-field measurements. Journal of Biomechanics -2010, vol 43, N°15, pp 2978-2985.
35 A. Franquet, S. Avril, R. Leriche, P. Badel. Identification of heterogeneous elastic properties in stenosed arteries: a numerical plane strain study. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2011, 14(12) pp 1-10.
36 S. Avril, F. Schneider, C. Boissier, ZY Li. In vivo velocity vector imaging and time-resolved strain rate measurements in the wall of blood vessels using MRI. Journal of Biomechanics, 2010, 44(5) pp 979-983.
37 L. Dubuis, S. Avril; J. Debayle, P. Badel. Identification of the material parameters of soft tissues in the compressed leg. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2012, 15(1) pp 3-11.
38 T. Belzacq, S. Avril, E. Leriche, A. Delache. Modelling of fluid structure interactions in stenosed arteries: effect of plaque deformability. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2010, 13(S1)25-26.
39 P. Badel, S. Avril, S. Lessner, M. Sutton. Mechanical identification of layer-specific properties of mouse carotid arteries using 3D-DIC and a hyperelastic anisotropic constitutive model, . Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2012, 15(1) pp 37-48.
40 T. Belzacq, S. Avril, E. Leriche, A. Delache. Plaque deformation in axisymmetric stenosed arteries: numerical study of the blood action. Medical Engineering and Physics, 2012, in press.
41 S. Avril, What do we know about aortic arch arterial wall biomechanical properties?, in “New endovascular technologies, from bench test to clinical practice”, edited by Nabil Chakfé, GEPROVAS, 2011.
42 S. Avril, P Badel, L Dubuis, J Debayle, S Couzan, JF Pouget, Patient specific modeling in venous deficiency, in “Patient-Specific modeling in tomorrow’s medicine” (Studies in mechanobiology, tissue engineering and biomaterials), Edited by Amit Gefen, Springer-Verlag, 2012, 09, 217-238, ISBN 978-3-642-24618-0.
43 N. Demanget, S. Avril; P. Badel, L. Orgéas, C. Geindreau; J.-N. Albertini, J.-P. Favre, Computational comparison of the bending behaviour of aortic stent-grafts Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. 2012, 5(1) pp 272-282.
44 J. Kim, S. Avril, A Duprey, JP Favre. Experimental characterization of rupture in human aortic aneurysms using full-field measurement technique. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology. 2012, 11(6) pp 841-854.
45 J Kim, S. Avril, P Badel, A Duprey, JP Favre. Characterization of failure in human aortic tissue using digital image correlation. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2011, 14(S1)73-74.
46 T. Belzacq, S. Avril, E. Leriche, A. Delache. Mechanical action of the blood onto atheromatous plaques: influence of the stenosis shape and morphology. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2014, 17 (5), pp 527-538
47 S. Evans, S. Avril. Identification of material parameters through inverse finite element modelling (editorial). Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2012, 15(1) pp 1-2.
48 P. Badel, K. Genovese, S. Avril. 3D residual stress field in arteries: novel method based on optical full-field measurements. Strain, 2012, 48 (6), pp 528-538.
49 N. Demanget, P. Latil, L. Orgéas, P. Badel, S. Avril, C. Geindreau, J.N. Albertini, J.P. Favre, Severe Bending of Two Aortic Stent-Grafts: an Experimental and Numerical Mechanical Analysis. Annals of biomedical engineering, 2012, 40(12)2674-2686
50 A Franquet, S. Avril, R. Le Riche, P. Badel, A new method for the in vivo identification of mechanical properties in arteries from cine MRI images: theoretical framework and validation. IEEE transactions on medical imaging, 2013, 32(8) pp 1448-1461.
51 S. Avril, P. Badel, M. Gabr, M. Sutton, S. Lessner, Biomechanics of porcine renal arteries and role of axial stretch. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 2013, 135 pp 081007.
52 P.Y Rohan, P. Badel, S. Avril, D. Rastel, B. Lun, Biomechanical response of varicose veins to elastic compression: a numerical study. Journal of Biomechanics, 2013, 46(3), pp 599-603.
53 M. Grédiac, F. Pierron, S. Avril, E. Toussaint, M. Rossi. The Virtual Fields Method. In Full-Field Measurements and Identification in Solid Mechanics, chap. 11, pp. 301-326. Edited by Michel Grédiac and François Hild, Wiley 2012.
54 A Franquet, S. Avril, R. Le Riche, P. Badel, Identification of the in vivo elastic properties of common carotid arteries from MRI: study on healthy subjects and patients with atherosclerosis. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 2013, 27 pp 184-203.
55 N. Demanget, P. Badel, S. Avril, L. Orgéas, C. Geindreau, J.N. Albertini, JP Favre, Mechanical performances of stent grafts within tortuous abdominal aortic aneurisms. Journal of biomechanics, 2012, 45 (S311).
56 G. Boyer, J. Molimard, M BenTakya, H Zahouani, M Pericoi, S. Avril, Assessment of the in-plane biomechanical properties of human skin using a new device combining mechanical and optical measurements. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 2013, 27 pp 273-282.
57 L. Dubuis, S. Avril, J. Debayle, P. Badel. Patient-specific numerical model of soft tissues in the compressed leg: application to six subjects. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2012, 15(S1) pp 44-45.
58 N. Demanget, P. Badel, S. Avril, L. Orgéas, C. Geindreau, J.N. Albertini, Finite Element Analysis of the Mechanical Performances of Eight Marketed Aortic Stent-Grafts. Journal of Endovascular Therapy, 2013, 20(4) pp 524-535.
59 P. Badel, PY Rohan, S. Avril, Finite Element simulation of buckling-induced vein tortuosity and influence of the wall constitutive properties. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 2013, 26 pp 119-126.
60 F Frauziols, PY Rohan, P Badel, S Avril, J Molimard, L Navarro. Patient-specific modelling of the calf muscle under elastic compression using magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasound elastography. Computer methods in biomechanics and biomedical engineering 16 (sup1), 332-333
61 MG Gabr, MA Sutton, SM Lessner, S Avril, P Badel, Comparing the Passive Biomechanics of Tension-Pressure Loading of Porcine Renal Artery and Its First Branch, Mechanics of Biological Systems and Materials, 2014, Volume 4, 35-40
62 S. Avril, S Evans, K Miller, Inverse Problems and material identification in tissue biomechanics (editorial). Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 2013, vol. 27, p. 129-131.
63 PY Rohan, P Badel, B Lun, D Rastel, S Avril, Prediction of the biomechanical effects of compression therapy on deep veins using finite element modelling, Annals of biomedical engineering, 2014, 43 (2), 314-324
64 A Romo, P Badel, A Duprey, JP Favre, S Avril. In vitro analysis of localized aneurysm rupture, Journal of biomechanics, 2014, 47 (3), 607-616
65 F Frauziols, P-Y Rohan, P Badel, S Avril, J Molimard, L Navarro. Patient-specific modelling of the calf muscle under elastic compression using magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasound elastography. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2013, 16(S1) pp 332-333.
66 L Dubuis, CPY Rohan, S Avril, P Badel, J Debayle. Patient-specific computational models: Tools for improving the efficiency of Medical Compression Stockings. Computational Biomechanics for Medicine, 2013, pp 25-37.
67 B Pierrat, J Molimard, L Navarro, S Avril, P Calmels. Evaluation of the mechanical efficiency of knee orthoses: a combined experimental-numerical approach. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, 2014, 0954411914533944
68 AJ Nederveen, S Avril, L Speelman. MRI Strain Imaging of the Carotid Artery: Present Limitations and Future Challenges. Journal of Biomechanics, 2014, 47 (4), 824-833.
69 P Badel, S Avril, MA Sutton, SM Lessner, Numerical simulation of arterial dissection during balloon angioplasty of atherosclerotic coronary arteries. Journal of Biomechanics, 2014, 47 (4), 878-889
70 D Perrin, P Badel, S Avril, L Orgeas, C Geindreau, JN Albertini, JP Favre, Digital Simulation of the Delivery of Stentgrafts: Towards a Clinical Application, Annals of Vascular Surgery, 2014, 28 (6), 1364
71 D Perrin, N Demanget, P Badel, S Avril, L Orgéas, C Geindreau, Deployment of stent grafts in curved aneurysmal arteries: toward a predictive numerical tool, International journal for numerical methods in biomedical engineering, 2015, 31 (1), pp 26-36
72 P Vy, V Auffret, P Badel, M Rochette, P Haigron, S Avril, Review of patient-specific simulations of transcatheter aortic valve implantation. International Journal of Advances in Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics, 2016, 8(1) pp. 2-24.
73 FM Davis, Y Luo, S Avril, J Lu, Pointwise characterization of the elastic properties of planar soft tissues: application to ascending thoracic aneurysms. Biomechanics and modeling in mechanobiology, 2015, 14(5) , pp 967-978.
74 B Pierrat, C Millot, J Molimard, L Navarro, P Calmels, P Edouard, S Avril, Characterisation of Knee Brace Migration and Associated Skin Deformation During Flexion by Full-Field Measurements, Experimental Mechanics, 2015, 55 (2), 349-360
75 VA Santamaría, O Siret, P Badel, G Guerin, V Novacek, F Turquier, S Avril, Material model calibration from planar tension tests on porcine linea alba, Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical materials, 2015, 43, pp 26-34
76 B Pierrat, R Oullion, J Molimard, L Navarro, M Combreas, S Avril, R Philippot, P Calmels, Characterisation of in-vivo mechanical action of knee braces regarding their anti-drawer effect, The Knee, 2015, 22 (2), 80-87
77 F Frauziols, J Molimard, L Navarro, P Badel, M Viallon, R Testa, S Avril, Prediction of the Biomechanical Effects of Compression Therapy by Finite Element Modeling and Ultrasound Elastography, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 2015, 62(4), 1011-1019
78 C Morin, S Avril, Inverse problems in the mechanical characterization of elastic arteries, MRS Bulletin, 2015, 40 (04), 317-323
79 B Pierrat, J Molimard, L Navarro, S Avril, P Calmels, Evaluation of the mechanical efficiency of knee braces based on computational modeling, Computer methods in biomechanics and biomedical engineering, 2015, 18 (6), 646-661
80 D Perrin, P Badel, L Orgéas, C Geindreau, A Dumenil, JN Albertini, S Avril, Patient-specific numerical simulation of stent-graft deployment: validation on three clinical cases, Journal of biomechanics, 2015, 48(1), pp 1868-1875.
81 O Trabelsi, FM Davis, JF Rodriguez-Matas, A Duprey, S Avril, Patient specific stress and rupture analysis of ascending thoracic aneurysms, Journal of biomechanics, 2015,48(10), pp 1836–1843
82 P Chelle, M Cournil, M le Piot, A Montmartin, E Presles, C Morin, S Avril, P Mismetti, B Tardy, B Tardy, Numerical models of thrombin generation applicable to hemophilia, Journal of Thrombosis and haemostasis, 2015, 13, 846-846
83 O Trabelsi, A Duprey, JP Favre, S Avril, Predictive models with patient specific material properties for the biomechanical behavior of ascending thoracic aneurysms, Annals of biomedical engineering, 2016, 44 (1), 84-98
84 S Avril, MR Bersi, C Bellini, K Genovese, JD Humphrey, Regional identification of mechanical properties in arteries, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 2015, 18 (sup1), 1874-1875
85 C Laville, V Acosta-Santamaria, O Trabelsi, S Avril, Y Tillier, Mechanical characterization of aortic valve tissues using an inverse analysis approach, Computer methods in biomechanics and biomedical engineering, 2015, 18 (sup1), 1976-1977
86 W Krasny, C Morin, S Avril, H Magoariec, C Hellmich, The concept of frozen elastic energy as a consequence of changes in microstructure morphology, Computer methods in biomechanics and biomedical engineering, 2015,18 (sup1), 1966-1967
87 C Morin, S Avril, C Hellmich, the fiber reorientation problem revisited in the context of Eshelbian micromechanics: theory and computations. PAMM, 2015, 15(1), pp 39-42.
88 FM Davis, Y Luo, S Avril, J Lu, Local mechanical properties of human ascending thoracic aneurysms. Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical materials, 2016, 61, pp 235-249
89 A Duprey, O Trabelsi, M Vola, JP Favre, S Avril, Biaxial rupture properties of ascending thoracic aortic aneurysms. Acta Biomaterialia, 2016, 42, pp 273-285.
90 Y Luo, A Duprey, S Avril, J Lu, Characteristics of thoracic aortic aneurysm rupture in vitro. Acta Biomaterialia, 2016, 42, pp 286-295.
91 D Perrin, P Badel, L Orgéas, C Geindreau, S Rolland du Roscoat, JN Albertini, S Avril, Patient-specific simulation of endovascular repair surgery with tortuous aneurysms requiring flexible stent-grafts, Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical material, 2016, 63, pp 86-89
92 F Frauziols, F Chassagne, P Badel, L Navarro, J Molimard, N Curt, S Avril, In vivo identification of the passive mechanical properties of deep soft tissues in the human leg, Strain, 2016, 52 (5), 400-411.
93 S Avril, Advances in experimental mechanics for biomedical soft tissues and materials (editorial), Strain, 52 (5), 371-371.
94 MR Bersi, C Bellini, P Di Achille, JD Humphrey, K Genovese, S Avril, Novel Methodology for Characterizing Regional Variations in the Material Properties of Murine Aortas, ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 2016, 138(7), 071005
95 B Merei, P Badel, M Sutton, S Avril, S Lessner, Atherosclerotic Plaque Delamination: Experiments and 2D Finite Element Model to Simulate Plaque Peeling in Two Strains of Transgenic Mice, Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical material, 2017, 67, 19-30.
96 JS Mousavi, S Avril, Patient-specific stress analyses in the ascending thoracic aorta using a finite-element implementation of the constrained-mixture theory, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 2017, 16 (5), 1765-1777.
97 F Frauziols, P Badel, L Navarro, J Molimard, N Curt, S Avril, Subject-specific computational prediction of the effects of elastic compression in the calf, in Biomechanics of Living Organs, Biomechanics of Living Organs: Hyperelastic Constitutive Laws for Finite Element Modeling (Y Payan and J Ohayon, eds.), Elsevier, 2017.
98 Avril, S. Hyperelasticity of Soft Tissues and Related Inverse Problems. In Material Parameter Identification and Inverse Problems in Soft Tissue Biomechanics (pp. 37-66). 2017, Springer International Publishing.
99 W Krasny, H Magoariec, C Morin, S Avril, A comprehensive study of layer-speci c morphological changes in the microstructure of an arterial wall under uniaxial load, Acta Biomaterialia, 2017, 57, 342-351.
100 S Behdadfar, L Navarro, J Sundnes, M Maleckar, S Avril, Patient specific left ventricular stress analysis can be achieved without knowing the material properties, Computer Methods in Biomedical and Biomechanical Engineering 2017, 20(11), 1223-1232.
101 S Behdadfar, L Navarro, J Sundnes, M Maleckar, S Avril, Patient-Specific Left Ventricle Finite Element Model Morphing, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 2018, 65(6), 1391 – 1398.
102 F. Condemi, S. Campisi, M. Viallon, T. Troalen, G. Xuexin, A.J. Barker, M. Markl, P. Croisille, O. Trabelsi, C. Cavinato, A. Duprey, S. Avril, Fluid- and biomechanical analysis of ascending thoracic aorta aneurysm with concomitant aortic insufficiency, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2018, 45 (12), 2921-2932.
103. O. Trabelsi, M. Gutierrez, S. Farzaneh, A. Duprey, S. Avril, A non-invasive methodology for ATAA rupture risk estimation, Journal of biomechanics, 2017, 66, 119–126.
104. VA Acosta Santamaría, M Flechas García, J Molimard, S Avril, Three-Dimensional Full-Field Strain Measurements across a Whole Porcine Aorta Subjected to Tensile Loading Using Optical Coherence Tomography–Digital Volume Correlation, Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering, 2018, 4, 3.
105. V.A. Acosta Santamaría, G. Daniel, D. Perrin, J.N. Albertini, E. Rosset, S. Avril, Model reduction methodology for computational simulations of endovascular repair, Computer methods in biomechanics and biomedical engineering, 2018, 21(2), 139-148.
106. W Krasny, H Magoariec, C Morin, S Avril, Kinematics of collagen fibers in carotid arteries under tension inflation loading, Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical material, 2017, 77, 718-726.
107. JS Mousavi, S Farzaneh, S Avril. A novel numerical damage model based on the constrained-mixture theory to predict damage evolution of ascending thoracic aorta, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 2018, 34(4), e2944.
108. P Vy, V Auffret, P Badel, M Rochette, P Haigron, S Avril, Patient-specific simulation of guidewire deformation during Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 2018, e2974.
109. S Avril, Can bioengineers help predict the risk of aneurysmal rupture? Journal de médecine vasculaire. 2017, 42 (1), 3-5
110. C Morin, W Krasny, S Avril, Multiscale mechanical behavior of arteries, Elsevier encyclopedia, in press, 2018.
111. N Famaey, J Vastmans, H Fehervary, JS Mousavi, F Rega, J Vander Sloten, S Avril, Numerical simulation of arterial remodeling in pulmonary autografts. ZAMM – Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 2018, in press.
112. S Behdadfar, L Navarro, J Sundnes, M Maleckar, HH Odland, S Avril, Abnormal tissue zone detection and average active stress estimation in patients with left-ventricle dysfunction. Medical and Biological Image Analysis (R Koprowski, ed.), InTechOpen, 2018.
112. C Morin, S Avril, C Hellmich, Non-affine transformations in arterial mechanics: a continuum micromechanical investigation. ZAMM – Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 2018, submitted.
113. S Avril. Aortic and arterial mechanics, CRC Press / Taylor & Francis Group book on cardiovascular biomechanics, submitted, 2017.
114. S. Farzaneh, O. Trabelsi, A. Duprey, S. Avril, Inverse identification of local stiffness distribution across ascending thoracic aortic aneurysms, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 2017, submitted.
115. MR Bersi, C Bellini, JD Humphrey, S Avril, Local Variations in Material and Structural Properties Characterize Murine Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Mechanics, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 2018, submitted.
116. F. Condemi, S. Campisi, M. Viallon, P. Croisille, JF Fuzelier, S. Avril, ATAA repair induces positive hemodynamic outcomes in a patient with unchanged bicuspid aortic valve, Journal of biomechanics, 2018, submitted.
117. S. Farzaneh, O. Trabelsi, A. Duprey, B Chavent, S. Avril, Identifying local arterial stiffness to assess the risk of rupture of ascending thoracic aortic aneurysms, Acta Biomaterialia, 2018, submitted.
118. R. Campobasso, F. Condemi, S. Campisi, S. Avril, Evaluation of peak wall stress in ascending thoracic aortic aneurysms using FSI simulations: effects of aortic stiffness and peripheral resistance, > Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology, 2018, submitted.
119. C Petit, JS Mousavi, S Avril. Review of the essential role of SMCs in maintaining the structural integrity of the ascending thoracic aorta through stress regulation, Submitted. Advances in biomechanics and tissue regeneration (M Doweidar, ed.), Elsevier, 2018.
120. C Cavinato, P Badel, C Morin, S Avril. Experimental characterization of collagen fiber recruitment using second harmonic generation confocal microscopy: a review of similarities and differences across arteries, species and testing conditions. Multi-Scale Extracellular Matrix Mechanics and Mechanobiology (Studies in mechanobiology, tissue engineering and biomaterials book series – KY Zhang, ed.), Springer-Verlag, 2018.
2018: D Perrin, JN Albertini, P Badel, S Avril. Method for assisting the production of an implantable unfurlable made to measure device, WO2018073505A1
2018: VA Acosta Santamaría, S Avril. OCT-based morphometric characterization of tissue samples prior to biomechanical testing, enveloppe Soleau N°598277 28/05/18.
- ERC consolidator grant laureate 2014
- Professeur de classe exceptionnelle de l’IMT (2017)
- ICCB best communication award (2017)
- Editor’s Choice Paper Finalist – ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering (2016)
- ESB best poster award (2015).
- BSSM 50th Anniversary Plenary Speaker (4th November 2014)
- Visiting Fellow, Yale University, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Jay Humphrey’s lab, New Haven, USA (2014, 2016, 2017).
- Professeur de première catégorie de l’IMT (2014)
- CIBLE2008 grant from the regional council for a research project about leg elastic compression (2008).
- ANR “jeunes chercheurs et jeunes chercheuses” grant, IMANDEF project: In vivo mechanical identification of tissues using medical imaging (2008-2012).
- Visiting scholar, The University of Michigan, Health System cardiovascular center, Ann Arbor, USA (July 2008).
- Habilitation à Diriger les Recherches, from Compiègne University of Technology, France (2007).
- Visiting scholar, University of Loughborough, Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Jon Huntley’s Lab, UK (from January to September 2006).
- Chairman of the Euromech534 colloquium on tissue biomechanics (2012).
- ANR “TecSan” grant, ENDOSIM project: Predictive and patient-specific numerical simulations of endovascular treatment for aortic aneurisms (2014-2017).
- Co-chairman of the ESB2016 conference (2016).
- Coordinator of the Advanced School on Material Parameter Identification and Inverse Problems in Soft Tissue Biomechanics, CISM Udine, Italy (2015, 2017).