France, Culture, Sport, Social activities
- The original campus in Saint-Étienne is one hour away from Lyon.
- ‘Georges Charpak Provence’ Campus in Gardanne is 15 mns away from Aix-en-Provence and 30 mns. from Marseille.
Rooms and studio apartment are available at Mines Saint-Étienne. There are student residences on both campuses, depending on vacancies.
Student residences in Saint-Étienne, Information and contacts: http://www.me-mines-saint-etienne.org
Student residences in Gardanne, information and contacts: phone +33 4 42 61 69 15 ; mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students are exempt from tuition fees in the case of exchange agreements.
Masters students are eligible for grant programmes, subject to academic achievement and financial support for accommodation expenses.
French Education is generally highly subsidised by the state. Our school is a public institution, and teaching and infrastructure are mostly funded by the state. This explains why our enrolment fees are low compared to the actual cost of study.
Internship periods (3 to 5 months per year) are generally covered by allowances.
PhD students are all granted € 1400/month.
French Summer School and integration programmes for international students
Welco’Mines programme for international Masters of Science students:
Welcome Activities and Induction events for new students
- Our Universal language: let’s talk sciences!
- Industrial visits (Thuasne, SNF, Groupo Antolin, Sigvaris, Eurotab, OBUT, other…).
- PhD’s conferences; researcher’s conferences; industrial’s conferences.
- Manufacture for the future.
- Innovation, patents, industrial property.
- International research networks: H2020, ANRProfessor’s tutorials.
- Industrial Tutorial in the framework of “Young Ambassadors programme”.
- Young Researchers Living Lab
Create a Research project environment: A shared and team working room with computers, internet, library, access to lab equiments, dedicated space.
- « Young Researcher Awards ».
- France and Friends
- French as Foreign Language and French culture.
- Let’s play together! …
…. let’s play music / let’s play theatre / let’s play sports / let’s cook / let’s dance.
- Cultural visits, museums : Arts et Industries, Mines, Art Moderne, Le Corbusier, Spectacles.
- Go together to explore Lyon and in Saint-Étienne.
- Saint-Étienne surroundings.
- Skiing, matches…
The Student Organisation Activity Club (BDE Anim’), which organizes regular trips such as weekends in Florence, Barcelona or Prague, treks and the traditional skiing week in March. The BDE Anim also organises sports trips for such things as bungee jumping, ice skating and snow walking.
The Sports Society (BDS) groups together some very different sports clubs representing all types of sports, whether individual or team, male or female, indoor or outdoor.
Many cultural activities proposed by the Student Organisation…. : Astronomy club, Cookery club, Theatre club, Photography club, Wine-tasting club with a professional wine-taster and regular tastings, Gala club which organizes the prestigious end-of-year graduation dinner and gala. This is the event of the year at the School, with its review, fashion show, concerts and thematic bars.
Living expenses in Saint-Étienne or Gardanne
Around €600 to €700/month.
There’s so much to do in St-Etienne and Gardanne with leisure activities, architectural visits, natural sites, picturesque villages, museums, exhibitions, events, concerts, gastronomy and French art of food, night-time fun and festivities.… the campuses are located in places full of wealth and heritage you you just cannot miss!
Saint-Étienne, City of Design
In 2010, St-Etienne became the first French City (and the second in Europe) to join the UNESCO Creative Cities network as a City of Design. In 2017, the 10th St-Etienne International Design Biennial will be a showcase for the St-Etienne design scene and a ‘laboratory of uses’… Every 2 years, over a one-month period, St-Etienne becomes the world capital of Design with this landmark event ; the last edition was visited by almost 210,000 people!
St-Etienne has a leading role as the n°1 French Design Centre in Digital Technologies with the ‘French Tech Design Tech’ Label. St-Etienne has a unique centre dedicated to design and creativity – it is called ‘La Cité du Design’ (City of Design).The Cité du Design supports economic development by concentrating on innovation through user-centred design in programmes sponsored by public bodies and businesses.
A high-performance district with 4 centres of excellence: Digital Technologies, Optics, Medical Technologies, New manufacturing.
A cultural district with:
- Museums : Musée d’Art Moderne et Contemporain (International temporary exhibitions), Musée d’Art et d’Industrie (the largest collection of ribbons in the world, a wonderful collection of weapons, the story of the bicycle – St-Etienne is the place where the 1st French bicycle was made), Parc-Musée de la Mine (underground tour with a ride on an authentic coal mine train), Musée des Verts (St-Etienne famous football team!)
- 1 Opera house, 1 Zenith concert hall, 1 modern music venue (Le Fil)
- 1 Drama Center (La Comédie)
- Site Le Corbusier: Le Corbusier is an internationally renowned architect and founder of modern architecture. Here, you can visit the largest architectural and urban ensemble in Europe with 4 emblematic Historic Momuments…
A regional natural park (Le Pilat), located on the city’s doorstep, offers 3 hiking trails and a number of sporting activities such as mountain biking, and canoeing.. the perfect place to enjoy nature and relax. In the heart of the Pilat, you can visit the old Sainte Croix en Jarez Carthusian Monastery, now a village and classed as one of the ‘Plus Beaux Villages de France”.
Gardanne and life in Provence
Gardanne is strategically located between Aix-en-Provence, a renowned student city which is also a very important tourist centre and Marseille, which is a big city with all the cultural activities you could imagine. Gardanne is located on the south-easterly slopes of the Captivel hill, facing the Sainte Victoire mountain, the town is dominated by the ancient centre of Gardanne. Once a mining town, Gardanne now has an urban landscape marked by its hundred-year-old industrial history. It has however succeeded in preserving an old picturesque town full of charm. Strolling around the town, one can discover lovely little squares full of colourful flowers, and ancient fountains worthy of the most beautiful Provencal villages.
In Provence the climate is the warmest in France and the way of life the sweetest!
Everywhere you go, you will find many wonderful, small, typically French small villages … you will only have to walk up and down the streets in the historical villages to find the atmosphere to suit your mood.